Friday, May 22, 2009

Musings - Call of Duty: Modern Combat 2

SO I never really got into the COD series for many reasons. These include the fact that until COD2 the game was primarily PC based and I wasn't found of any PC shooter that didn't have Unreal or Battlefield in the name. Plus I am so over World War 1 or 2 based games that it isn't funny. I mean come on how many times can a developer rehash a war that ran it's course before either of us was born. Now I will tolerate WW games if the occult or supernatural is involved (Wolfenstein and COD:World at War zombie mode I'm giving you your shout outs.) but else wise I say no more axis vs allies. So you can imagine the joy and delight I felt when I first had COD4:MC in my grip for the first time. Unlike my preference in anime I like realism in my games. Realistic weapons and physics are my secret love. Plus being former military I respect any genre that portrays military combat in a realistic way because last time I checked hopping up and down constantly as I unload my portable missile at my foes was not a viable tactic taught in basic training. My only problem with Modern Combat is that when I play it I go into a daze where day bleeds into night and the much feared Q the Kamikaze holds domain. In that setting I am well feared and admired in the lobbies of Xbox Live and with good reason. So far only three other games have achieved this effect with me. Battlefield: Bad Company, Street Fighter 4 and COD: WAW (WAW only cause it is the same game engine and gameplay that Infinity Ward had developed for MC. Kudos and shame to you Treyarch for ripping off a good thing) I actually don't play any of the games in question as much as I would like just cause I know I will have a hard time pulling myself away from them. So with MC2 on the horizon and it's oh so realistic graphics just tantalizing me I'm both anticipating it's release and dreading it. So what prompted this post you ask? I'm sitting here at work and the teaser commercial for MC2 popped up and the graphics are so realistic that they remind me of all the declassified military vids I used to watch when I was active duty. Good times.

Kami

No comments:

Post a Comment